Money magazine selected 16 Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), including our Target Retirement Fund series, for its “Money 50″ list of recommended funds, published in the magazine’s January/February 2014 Investor’s Guide.
The “Money 50″ list is a more concise rendition of the annual “Money 70″ list, as the publication eliminated fund and ETF duplications, removed several active funds that have consistently underperformed, and reorganized the categories based on investment goals to help simplify investor decisions.
This year, once again, Vanguard has more funds on the list than any other fund family, with nearly three times as many as the next largest competitor. In addition, Vanguard is also the only fund family that has funds listed in each of the magazine’s new categories: building-block funds (9 of the 14 listed), custom funds (5 of 32), and one-decision funds (2 of 4).
This is the 13th consecutive year Money has recognized Vanguard on its list of recommended funds. The criteria for inclusion on the list are based on a low expense ratio, a strong record for putting shareholder interests first, a consistent investment strategy, experienced and trustworthy managers, and long-term performance.
The following Vanguard funds made this year’s “Money 50″ list, arranged according to the magazine’s categories:
Building-block funds (9 of 14 listed):
- Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund
- Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-U.S. Small-Cap Index Fund
- Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund
- Vanguard REIT Index Fund
- Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund
- Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities ETF
- Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund
- Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund
- Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund
One-decision funds (2 of 4 listed):
Custom funds (5 of 32 listed):
- Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax Exempt Fund
- Vanguard International Growth Fund
- Vanguard Limited-Term Tax Exempt Fund
- Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade Fund
- Vanguard Small-Cap Value ETF
Questions about Vanguard funds?
If you’re new to Vanguard, call 800-252-9578. If you’re already a Vanguard client, call 800-888-3751.